Views: 61 Author: Site Editor Publish Time: 2023-06-21 Origin: Site
A mattress protector adds a thick, soft layer of cushioning to the mattress, preventing stains, odors, bacteria and microorganisms from damaging the mattress. Most importantly, a quality mattress cover provides cool comfort and breathability and extends the life of the mattress.
1. Why should I buy a mattress protector?
Mattress protectors give you peace of mind because there is something about them that absorbs moisture and prevents it from damaging your mattress. Some mattress protectors are made from moisture wicking materials to make you feel more comfortable if you sweat during the night. And mattress protectors are easy to clean.
2. Types of mattress protectors
● Sheet style: slides snugly to cover the top and sides of the mattress. It is less likely to move around or come together.
Elastic: It sits on top of the mattress and is held securely in place by elasticated elastic bands on the four corners. The sides are not covered.
● Wrap-around/zip-around: provides full coverage and prevents dust mites, bed bugs and allergens from entering your mattress.
● Cooling: usually made of superconducting materials or gels that pull heat and moisture away from the body. They are excellent at regulating temperature.
● Cots/toddler beds: specifically sized to fit children's beds and for obvious reasons they are usually lined with a waterproof material.
3. Mattress protector features
Mattress protectors have different characteristics. Here are some of the most common mattress cover features
● Moisture protection
Waterproof covers have a waterproof or water-resistant membrane laminated to one side of the mattress to absorb or prevent liquids from seeping through.
Mattress protectors are generally made from a choice of 100% cotton (breathable), bamboo (sustainable), wool (insulating) or polyester (economical). You can choose the right fabric to suit your needs and budget.
Organic fabrics such as eucalyptus-based Tencel are naturally antibacterial and hypoallergenic. Quilted or wool-lined jackets can add a little thickness, and organic cotton has natural moisture-wicking properties.
Considering the cost of a mattress, a good mattress cover can be an effective way to preserve the value of your investment. If you have just purchased a top quality memory foam mattress, it makes sense to spend more on a premium protector. If you are sleeping on a second-hand mattress, a reasonably priced protector will suffice.
4. How long should a mattress protector last?
Generally speaking, a well-made and well-maintained mattress protector should last two to three years. This will of course vary depending on the actual situation.